Thursday, June 2, 2011

#Trust30 writing challenge - One Strong Belief

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

Day 3 Prompt

Buster Benson - One Strong Belief

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?

This is a hard one.  I feel so much resistance to this one.  Here goes nothing.  Or here goes something.  One strong belief that I possess right now is the belief that we all make our lives what they are.  We all have the ability and the power within to make our lives big and amazing or small and limiting.  We all have the strength to pull ourselves out of any hole that we've fallen into.  When my life sucks, its because I am letting it suck.  I'm not saying that I can control what goes on around me.  I'm saying that I have the strength to take any hardship and face it with trust and hope.  I can choose to move forward in life or I can choose to wallow in self-pity or blame someone (or something) else for my problems. 

I know that terrible things happen to people everyday.  Many times it ends in tragedy, but I believe fully that the tragedy does not have to dictate the quality of life from that moment on.  I feel passionately that we all have the strength to move on in our lives.  We can take the pain and let the lesson that needs to be learned come forward.  No blaming.  No whining.  Just allow the hurt and the pain to flow in and then release it.  So many times we hold on to the pain.  It becomes our friend.  We become used to bad things happening to us.  We expect it.  And the cycle continues.

What if the world could just trust that all will be well?  What if the world could just get up and say "Man that sucked, but look at this beautiful, shining Light I have here in my heart.  Look at how it shines and leads me out of this tragedy."  What a wonderful world that would be.

What inspires this belief?  I used to be one of those people who held on to pain.  I used to be one of those people who would blame everyone (or everything), but myself, for having a crappy life.  I know people who get stuck and keep themselves there and I have so much compassion for them.  There is so much joy to be lived.  So much hope to hold on to.  Yet.....the joy and the hope are kept at bay.  People can convince themselves that it is hopeless and that they can't be happy because of x, y and z.  I have been one of those people.

So today I choose to take my punches with dignity and grace.  I choose to let my Light lead me through every storm like a beacon.  When things get heavy and scary I go within and I allow any pain or anger or frustration to flow through me.  I choose to belive in my heart that everything is as it should be.  I can't explain why tragic things happen to people.  I can't say that I have had many tragic things happen to me, but I take great comfort in knowing that I can weather through any storm.  All I need is to trust that I have the strength within me to face anything.  I will be taken care of and I will find comfort when I need it.

If I could share this with everyone I would.  I try to live my life as shiny as possible.  I try to be an example of living with trust and hope.  I want to help as many people as I can to see themselves as the beautiful, powerful beings that they are.  We can all have a joyful life.  It isn't always easy, but it can always get better.

Just my thoughts.

This has been day #3 of the #Trust30 writing challenge. #Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. You can see the details here.

No comments: