Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 6 - #Trust30 writing challenge

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Day 5 prompt

Jonathan Mead - Come Alive

If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.

This prompt is not doing anything for me today.  Maybe its because I've had a very busy Sunday with my family and I'm exhausted.  Or maybe I'm already living and don't feel like I need to prepare to live.  Sure, if I had a week to live my days would probably look different.  I would probably be seeing a lot of family and friends. I would probably write a ton of letters of farewell to all of the beautiful souls that I've met out there in cyberspace.   I would probably spend a lot of time sitting in my back yard communing with my mystical oak tree. 

There would be some moments of deep pain as I try to prepare my children for my departure.  There would be long talks about what I believe happens when the Spirit leaves the body.  I suppose if I were to change anything about how I'm living my life right now, it would be to have those kinds of conversations with the Littles now.  Just to avoid the time spent trying to explain it with only a week left.

I really dislike writing these kinds of posts.  Because we all know that there are things that we could probably do to live our lives more joyfully.  I'm just beginning to work on an area of my life that dims my shiny, so I know that I have room for improvement.  My problem with this prompt is that I don't think that I need to prepare to live.  I am living.  Two years ago this prompt would have stirred me and probably been beneficial, but today it just seems kind of boring. 

I know how to experience joy in my living.  I am drawn toward helping others experience joy in their living as well.

Just my thoughts.

This has been day #5 of the #Trust30 writing challenge. #Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. You can see the details here.

No comments: