Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 5 - #Trust30 writing challenge

If we live truly, we shall see truly. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Day 5 prompt

Chris Guillebeau - Travel

Not everyone wants to travel the world, but most people can identify at least one place in the world they’d like to visit before they die. Where is that place for you, and what will you do to make sure you get there?

Wow.  I could sit and ponder on this for a long time.  I have never dreamed of being a world traveller.  As a matter of fact, the thought of getting on an airplane scares me silly.  I think the anxiety of flying would completely ruin the trip for me.  So I turned my focus to someplace state side that I could drive to.  I like driving.  I like the freedom of being able to pull over and explore someplace that comes up on the way.  So as I contemplated where one place that I would like to visit before I die, I came up with several locations.

I would have to say that the place I want to go most of all is back to Colorado.  Back to the state I was born in and lived until I was almost 14.  I don't have a lot of fond memories of Colorado.  I don't have many memories of those years in Colorado at all.  So why do I want to go back? 

I feel drawn there.  I feel like I need to go back to this place that seems like a mystery to me.  There's a part of me that is hoping to capture some of those lost memories.  There's also a part of me that hopes that if I return I'll remember nothing and can put to rest this desire to have my childhood returned to me.  I'm not sure I want to remember some of my childhood but I'm also sure I would welcome any happy memories that may come forward.  The only thing that matters is that I need to go back there.  I need to see the small town I grew up in.  I need to smell its smells and listen.  Maybe something familiar will nudge me.  Maybe it will just be a small town in Colorado.

There's more.  The mountains of Colorado are calling to me.  They have been in my thoughts and dreams lately.  We took a lot of trips into those mountains and they miss me.  I need to go back and experience them as a happy adult.  I need to show them how much I appreciate them, because I don't think I did as a child.  I feel energized just thinking about it.

So how am I going to make sure that I get there.  I talk about going there.  I share the idea with Mr. Man and we put it on our list of places to go.  I plan a trip and I trust that when the time is right, I will make it back there.  If I had to pinpoint a date for this trip it may never happen.  So I'll just say that I'm going to go back to Colorado.  I'm going to revisit my memories and see if we recognize each other after all these years.

I patiently wait for the invitation from the Universe to get back to Colorado.  I trust I'll know when the time is right.

Just my thoughts.

This has been day #5 of the #Trust30 writing challenge. #Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. You can see the details here.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I understand that pull from a place. Two Harbors and Duluth do that for me because of the Lake. It fed my soul, but I didn't know that as a kid. I know it now that it's gone. So, I have this funny little dream of living there again, maybe for just a couple of months a year.

I hope you get back to Colorado and the mountains and find what you need there :)

The Mother Freakin' Princess said...

This was really interesting because I have that exact same feeling about California. I lived there when I was in Kindergarten and I don't have many memories of it - but it calls to me. I was happy to go back last week to finally 'visit'.

Jill said...

Stacey - I hope that you can get a visit to the North Shore, as well. And let me know if you do. I would love to see you. :)

MFP - It's so awesome that you got to go to Cali. I know you were nervous about it, but I bet you feel so empowered for going.