Monday, June 1, 2009

Don't think. Feel.

This is one of those entries where I feel like I have something to say, but don't know what it is. I have had the words "Don't think. Feel", playing in my mind a lot lately. That's a far cry from how I used to think. I was definitely a, "Don't feel. Think", kind of person. I could overthink anything. Someone could tell me I looked really nice, and I would "think" it into an insult. Any feeling that I had, good or bad, was pushed away so that I wouldn't have to feel anything.

Feeling is so much funner than thinking. Feeling is joyful. How do you choose feeling over thinking when your life is being pulled in 100 different directions? This is what I did. (I got this idea from a good friend of mine, who heard it from another good friend) I woke up each morning and said to myself, "If there were no rules, what would I do?" I started having some fun. Serious fun. I didn't break any laws or hurt anyone, I just had fun. I stopped stressing about my house, my kids, my husband, the economy, my spirituality. I let it all go. I still brought my kids to school, even though I really didn't want to. I didn't stay in bed all day, when I had things to do. When something came up that I didn't really feel like doing, and wasn't going to hurt anyone if I didn't do it right then, I simply thought of what I would rather do. It wasn't always easy coming up with something else to do, but once I got the hang of it, I always came up with something better to do.

I used to spent a lot of time thinking about who I really was, what my interests were, what was my purpose, what made me joyful, and on and on and on.... When I stopped thinking about all of these things and just started being and doing I got a lot more answers.

I don't have all the answers today. I am ok with that. This journey is so much more fun when I don't think about the destination. I don't have anywhere that I need to be by a certain time. I just need to be the authentic me. The authentic me would much rather feel than think.

Just my thoughts.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh, I get so much what you're saying. I am still in the thinking mode but why? The thinking time for me has been making sure that the parameters of my life are defined and safe. Now that all of that is settled, I too want more. I'll be thinking about what you said. Hee hee!

Caroline said...

WOW...I feel like you just took the words out of my mouth! Life is the journey. I think about how much I used to want to be "this or that" or do "this or that." Recently I stopped trying. I am not giving up on life...just going with the flow. Trying to "think" less and feel more. I am happier now than I have been in years!

Jill said...

Yes, Caroline, it is so much easier to float down stream then swim against the current. Thank you for sharing your comment.