Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Celebrating my Self!!

September is my birthday month, and I have decided that this year I will spend the entire month celebrating Me.  Does that make me vain?  I think not.  Does that make me nervous?  A tad.  I'm not one to embrace celebrating myself.  It isn't going to come naturally.  So I'm going to babystep my way through it. 

Most days I'll probably just do a little something to celebrate who I am.  I'll throw a few big somethings in as well.  I'm excited to see what I come up with.  My heart is really open to this true celebration of my true self.  Long overdue, I might add.

Today I think I'll just spend some time in front of a mirror smiling at my beautiful self.  Sounds easy enough, but I know that it may seem awkward.  We're not taught to smile at ourselves.  We're told that looking admiring yourself in the mirror is vain and that you should not marvel at your own beauty.  I say phooey!  Look at yourself everyday and force yourself to see the beautiful you that resides there.  I know how hard this is to do.  I have spent most of my adult life avoiding the mirror.  When I would look in a mirror I would not see beauty, I would see a grotesque monster.  I did not allow myself to believe that there was any beauty there.

As I became focused on living my life as shiny as possible, I dropped the self-hate and can now see the beauty that is in me and around me.  Looking in the mirror has evolved into a time to reflect on what lies within.  A time to honor my true self and embrace this body as the vessel that my spirit resides in.

So join me in my celebration and look upon your reflection in the mirror with the warmest, most loving smile you can muster.  Close your eyes if you have to and allow your shining spirit to reveal itself to you. 

Just my thoughts.

4 comments:

Luna said...

what a wonderful thing to do..
I think we each should do this
learn how to take care and give thanks to ourselves to the wonderful things we do, we give, we offer the world.
Taking the time to say, thankyou and give something back to self.
Especially if you are a Mom... just how much time to you get to spend on you?? now where near enough so yes !! celebrate you
I'm behind you

KodasTotems said...

I love the new look of the blog Jill! So expansive and healing in and of its own right! Great job, your blog art-eest!

Laura said...

beautiful!!!

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Jill, Happy Birthday! Sept. is a wonderful month to have a birthday. You know how proud of you I am. I love that you are self-aware (and no, that is not selfish or self-absorbed) It means we know what our body, mind and soul need to be in harmony and we give that to ourselves. I am glad you continue to do that as best you can.

Blessings,
Jan
(alias Buddha Chick. You probably saw the blurb on this new course at my blog or on FB, yes? Any chance your shiny self might join us?)